Motorsport to Marine Initiative
Motorsport to Marine Partners
Parallels between motorsport and marine industries are numerous, not least because both sectors are involved in sporting activities which serve as a proving ground for innovative new technologies.
Offshore powerboating is one, more obvious, example of marine motorsport technologies: As in a single-seat racing car, boats competing in the Powerboat P1 World Championship use carbonfibre hulls as their main structural part. Similarly, aerodynamic and hydrodynamic performance are optimised using motorsport-developed Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD).
|Wirth Research is a world-leader in CFD analysis||
Ilmor Engineering is a double Powerboat P1 World Champion
Ilmor Marine Engines is one of offshore powerboating's leading engine manufacturers. When it is considered that Ilmor Engineering has 44 Grand Prix wins to its name and has triumphed in the Indianapolis 500 14 times, it is clear to see how motorsport technology transfer can translate into success on the water.
|Caudwell Marine's revolutionary Axis Drive™ marine propulsion system was developed in partnership with MIA members Xtrac, Cosworth and Ilmor Engineering|
MIA Members Xtrac, Cosworth and Ilmor Engineering collaborated to develop the revolutionary Axis Drive™ marine propulsion system. This radical new design boasts zero power-loss from engine to propeller and serves as a prime example of how innovative motorsport capability can achieve fantastic results when applied into other sectors.
|Cosworth Electronics supply TransMed Record-holders
Groupama 3 with their LLB data acqusition system
Not only motorised boats benefit from such technology transfer - numerous America's Cup, Fastnet and record-attempt challengers use Cosworth Electronics' data acquisition, logging and image capture components and software. Cosworth's LLB system measures various structural hull loads along with logging winch, rig and rudder loads - enabling sailing teams to monitor data in real time and review past events to identify areas of potential performance advantage.
The UK Marine Industries Roadmap highlights significant opportunities for motorsport companies to apply their innovative capability into the marine sector, which is increasingly focused on addressing the challenge of vessel efficiency.
Motorsport to Marine Documents
- British Marine Federation - Key Performance Indicators for the Marine Industry - 2009 to 2010
- Watersports and Leisure Participation Survey 2010
- British Marine Federation - Key Performance Indicators for the Marine Industry - 2008 to 2009
Motorsport to Marine News
- America's Cup opts for Motorsport Biometrics
- Former F1 Chief joins Ben Ainslie Racing
- Power Train Projects launch range of Inland Marine Engines
- An invitation to visit the 2012 British Marine Electronics Association Conference
- New BMF Member Holds Seminar for the RIB and High Speed Craft Sector
- Desktop Engineering to Focus on Marine Sector
- Inaugural BMF Marine Supply Chain Conference Offers Routes to New Customers and Markets
British Marine Federation (BMF) Newsletters - click here
National Boat Shows - click here
Upcoming Motorsport to Marine Events
Past Motorsport to Marine Events
- 14-15 October 2013 'Motorsport to Marine' Showcase of Capability at Princess Yachts, Plymouth - Info
- 10 April 2013 Members' Business Tour & Engagement Sunseeker International, Poole - Info - Photos
- 14-23 September 2012 PSP Southampton Boat Show
11-20 January 2013 Tullett Prebon London International Boat Show
- 22 September 2011 Members' Business Visit to the Southampton Boat Show
For more information please contact Carrim Bundhun on +44 (0)2476 692 600
or email firstname.lastname@example.org